The knowledge of the current and wave fields derived from this technology has many applications. Among others, the following ones can be mentioned:
- Statistical knowledge of the marine environment (waves and currents) for its use in Maritime Engineering and Integrated Coastal Zone Management.
- Accidental marine pollution Crisis management (i.e. Oil spills).
- Backtracking of oil spill to identify ships causing intentional marine pollution
- Studies of the biology and fisheries (i.e. Transport of larvae).
- Navigation aids (i.e. Conditions in port entrance).
- Risk management (i.e.. Obtaining wave data at a time where there are difficulties in maintaining operational buoys).